If you can make an A-line skirt, it can be the staple to any wardrobe – but finding one to make that is well constructed, has a lining and
If you can make an A-line skirt, it can be the staple to any wardrobe – but finding one to make that is well constructed, has a lining and can be easily altered for different lengths can be hard. We use the Amy Butler Barcelona pattern as our base and then show you how to customise it, add a french seam, insert an invisible zipper for a neat finish as well as different lengths to suit your own particular taste. And once you know how to create the first skirt, you can go on to make more skirts in a wide variety of fabric choices for all seasons – you can have a skirt for every occasion!
In this multi-session workshop you will learn:
- measuring for your size (this pattern sits slightly lower along the hips than your average A-line skirt)
- cutting out both the lining fabric and the main fabric as well as transferring markings
- installing an invisible zipper using an invisible zipper foot to the main fabric
- We provide the fabric for the lining (either a white or black cotton muslin weight) as well as the zipper foot for installing the zipper, an invisible zipper, thread etc.
- You will be required to purchase 2 3/8 yards 0r 1.9 metres of fabric of your choice before the workshop. We can give you advice on what type of fabric you could use for your skirt – the suggested fabric by the designer is a cotton weight fabric.
- construct the main fabric skirt, using a French seam for a clean finish
- construct the skirt lining also using a French seam
- attach main fabric and lining together
- finish hand sewing the zipper to the lining to ensure a finished look
- hem the skirt to the appropriate height
Skill Level: Enthusiastic beginner (not sure if you are an enthusiastic beginner? We like you to be able to have taken a dressmaking course so that you understand basics such as laying out your pattern, cutting etc. but also how to sew straight and not be afraid to ask questions.
But if you want to make sure you are set up to take this workshop, why not sign up for our beginning dressmaking workshop Dressmaking Isn’t Rocket Science or our beginner sewing workshop All You Need to Know to Sew ?)
Course Availability: Daytimes & Evenings
Fee and what this includes: 70.00 and this includes everything you will need to take this workshop except for the main fabric (we can even lend you a sewing machine if required), coffee/tea and a homemade snack.
(Wednesday) 9:30 am - 1:00 pm
The Make & Do Studio
14 Beech Road, Stockton Heath, WA4 6LT