HOW TO MAKE A 5 STAR A-LINE SKIRT
A-line skirts are the staple to any wardrobe – but finding one to make that is well constructed, has a lining and pockets can be hard to find. We use the Amy Butler Barcelona pattern as our base and then show you how to customise it to include pockets (if you want), a french seam, an invisible zipper for a neat finish as well as different lengths to suit your own particular taste. And once you know how to create the first skirt, you can go on to make more skirts in a wide variety of fabric choices for all seasons so you can have a skirt for every occasion!
In this multi-session workshop you will learn:
- measuring for your size (this pattern sits slightly lower along the hips than your average A-line skirt)
- cutting out both the lining fabric and the main fabric as well as transferring markings
- installing an invisible zipper using an invisible zipper foot to the main fabric
- We provide the fabric for the lining (either a white or black cotton muslin weight) as well as the zipper foot for installing the zipper, an invisible zipper, thread etc.
- You will be required to purchase 2 3/8 yards 0r 1.9 metres of fabric of your choice before the workshop. We can give you advice on what type of fabric you could use for your skirt – the suggested fabric by the designer is a cotton weight fabric.
- construct the main fabric skirt, using a French seam for a clean finish
- construct the skirt lining also using a French seam
- attach and main fabric and lining together, finish hand sewing the zipper to the lining to ensure a finished look
- hem the skirt to the appropriate height
Skill Level: Enthusiastic beginner (not sure if you are an enthusiastic beginner? We like you to be able to have taken a dressmaking course so that you understand basics such as laying out your pattern, cutting etc. but also how to sew straight and not be afraid to ask questions. But if you want to make sure you are set up to take this workshop, why not sign up for our beginning dressmaking workshop Dressmaking Isn’t Rocket Science or our beginner sewing workshop All You Need to Know to Sew ?)
Course Availability: Daytimes & Evenings
Fee and what this includes: 70.00 and this includes everything you will need to take this workshop except for the main fabric (we can even lend you a sewing machine if required), coffee/tea and a home made snack.
THE STUDIO BLOG
Getting your crafting project published in a magazine (either in print or on-line) isn’t as difficult as it may seem. These magazines rely on people contributing to their content – the key it is to find the right magazine for your craft project, find the person to...
Hello readers! I have just returned from my second speaking gig on behalf of Coats Crafts UK at the stunning Newbury Race Course (on a completely different aside - I drove there from Wantage in Oxfordshire and took the B4494 road to Newbury - absolutely...
Do you believe in the idea of karma? And can you learn how to cultivate good karma and keep on growing it for your business? One word answer - absolutely. Karma is just an exchange of positive energy combined with a bit of luck as well as the ability to see more than...
Thanks for visiting The Make & Do Studio website. We'd love to hear from you. If you'd like to attend one of our workshops, but have a query, or have anything else you want to chat about, please contact us here.